FULLY FUND QUALITY
Across the city, communities are experiencing low vacancy rates and a shortage of affordable housing. We cannot simply rely on the 10% low-income housing units. We need a go back to the original 20%.
- Pass the Affordable Housing Act to provide an influx of city housing funding with the goal of jumpstarting the market and produce 800 new units of public housing over the course of 4 years to ensure that no one is denied a healthy home in a livable community
- Invest $2 million more in the Local Affordable Housing Trust Fund, and expand the Low-Income Housing Tax Credit to ensure a steady and timely addition of affordable rental units
- Fully fund Section 8 vouchers to help the thousands of families languishing on the waitlist of assistance and invest in public housing infrastructure in order to address the outrageous backlog of repair needs
Millions have still not recovered from the foreclosure and eviction crisis created by the Great Recession. We must provide support to working-class homeowners, and help them stay in their homes.
- Convert the mortgage interest deduction to a flat fifteen percent tax credit, extending a tax cut to an additional 1,500 working and middle-class homeowners
- Establish policies, including a local tax credit that incentivizes mobile home park owners to sell their land to the homeowners as a resident-owned co-op or to non-profits so that the land can be maintained as an important source of affordable housing stock
- Extend the Homebuyer Down-Payment Assistance Program to Residents of District 6 Residents
ESTABLISH A LOCAL RENTERS’ BILL OF RIGHTS
We must do more than simply providing more affordable housing. We must address the power imbalance between renters and landlords. We must empower renters to advocate for their own interests, and protect them against unjust actions by their landlord.
I will work to pass a local renters’ bill of rights, including:
- Vacancy tax with a 3 months grace period
- Just-cause eviction protection
- Right of tenants to organize into a union
- Right to live in safe and healthy conditions
- Relocation assistance for those displaced
- Non-discrimination protections for LGBTQIA+, undocumented and formerly incarcerated people to access housing